Wednesday, June 22, 2011


So today I had a meeting with a couple of friends to talk about the possibility of putting together a Slouchy comic and animated series. WHUUUUT? Yup. How exciting, right?

Also, my pops is trying to buy a cigar shop at the mall. Awesome.

AND I'm working on commissions and producing a badass music video. Man... to think I was feeling discouraged a couple of weeks ago.

Anyway, just wanted to post some pictures of a WIP. A friend of mine created a webseries called Voyage Trekkers (follow them on Facebook! It's so funny!) and I'm making a cute little alien for the show! HOW EXCITING AGAAAAIIIIIN! Sorry... clearly I'm excited.

So this will be SORT OF a tutorial/walk-through for customizing a Munny. Please keep in mind I've never done this before so this could be terrible... but I will let you know when things are terrible so you know not to make my mistakes!

Here we go!

Before I even took the Munny out of the box, I had an idea for what I wanted to do. I did sketches, thought of materials, etc. Great places to look for help are the Kidrobot Munny forums.

After you have an idea of what you want to do, break that baby out of the package and wash it off with soap and water. This will get any leftover factory or store or handling residue off and make it easier to draw on or cut or whatever.

Next, I knew I needed to cut off the ears, so I grabbed an Exacto Knife. I read in one tutorial that if you heat up the blade, it'll cut through the vinyl like butter. I thought I was tough enough to not worry about it. This, however, was tedious and hard on the blade. You should heat that blade up first.

Here is the result

Next, I sketched the face onto the Munny to kind of give myself a road map. I just did this with a regular mechanical pencil.

Once I had the face, I knew where the hole in the head needed to be. ("But Cortney, why is there a hole in the head?" Oh you'll see... you'll see...MUUUUAHAHAHAHA)

The next part is pretty cool, actually. I knew I needed to smooth out this part of the head where I cut the ears off. But there was this gaping hole there! So I put the ears back into the holes like this...

Then, I crammed foil into the ears to take up space.

And then I started smearing Super Sculpey over the foil and smoothing it out as much as possible, creating a perfectly round, earless head.

This is a work in progress, so I will post a material list after I finish the project (since I don't know what all I'm using yet). This is less of a tutorial and more of a progression of work...
Anyway, more later! <3 Don't forget to check out the Etsy page for new Slouchies!

No comments:

Post a Comment